Are you trying to build your own new cabinet door? Or, are you thinking for a Replacement kitchen cabinet doors of your current one by your own hands? But don’t know how to make cabinet door! If that’s the case, please continue reading this article. This will give you step by step easy cabinet doors guide to build your own cabinet door in quick time.
Dimension of the Door
Cabinets are one of the essential elements for any house. Whether it’s a bathroom or kitchen, you always need a cabinet for sure. These cabinets come from different size and shape according to people’s need. So, the door size and design also vary from person to person.
So, when you will start making raised cabinet doors the dimensions are important. You have to plan accordingly as well. This will be also a cheap cabinet door. After making the cabinet doors, you have to make sure that it is perfectly fitted. Otherwise, all the hard work will go in vain. So, without further due, let’s begin our process of making cabinet doors.
- Walnut Wood.
- Round Rail and Stile Router Bit Set.
- Quadra-Cut Raised Panel Router Bit with Backcutters.
- Woodpeckers Coping Sled.
- Router tables.
- Router Bit Set-Up Jigs.
Lets Learn How to Make Cabinet Door
Step By Step Guide:
- You might have understood now that I’ll be making the door from walnut wood. So, at first cut some walnut boards for the raised center panel portion by 1 inch longer than it needs.
- Then rip the board into smaller pieces to make sure its functionality as a raised panel. Once you have ripped, it’s off to the jointer to get one side flat.
- Move your wood through the jointer to get the board perfectly thin shaped. This is not something that you will get by using a planer. Because planer will force the board to be flat with uniform shape.
- Next, make your board parallel from the top by using a planer. You can use pencil mark to get the trace of the top side.
- After that, it’s time to use the jointer to make the board square and flatten on one edge. Make sure this part is done very carefully. Otherwise, the shape can be mismatched.
- Then use the table saw and put the jointed edge against the fence. Take a tiny bit off of the other side with the blade in order to make the board perfectly flat, square and parallel.
- Now it’s time to put the panels together. Use more than enough glue to thoroughly cover the entire surface. After putting the glue, join the parts carefully and dry for an hour before proceeding next step.
- After unclamp, scrape off the large chunks of glue that were left behind by using a wet rag. Then it’s time for a quick sanding to perfect it looks. Use a sander with 150 grift paper.
- Now, use the router table to make router panel joints- rails, stiles and of course the raised panels. The rails are the horizontal piece that goes across the top and stiles are the vertical piece. You can use template guide if you are doing it for the first time. It will be a great help, trust me!
- Use the coping sled and slide up the rail pieces into it to do the coping cuts. Then unclamp the coping sled, flip the board and continue same procedure for another side. The bottom rails are always 1-1.5 inches in width and the tops are normally 3 inches in width. The center rails naturally have 2 inches in width. But you can always use your own measurements if you want.
- Then it’s time to cut stiles. It’s better to keep the good side down. But it doesn’t matter which side you put against the fence as both sides are same. But don’t forget to cut both sides. The size of stiles normally remains the same. The natural width of stiles remains from the 2-2.5 inch. This size can vary from design to design and on individuals taste also.
- Now, time to route the raised panel. Be sure about height and width before doing this. Set your router to the slowest possible speed. You can repeat this step for the smoothest possible result.
- So, all the rails, stiles and raised panels are ready. Now, you need to sand the burn marks off of the raised panel. Use the soft sanders with sandpaper to do this for a better result. This kit comes with six different blocks which are why they can sand any sheet.
- Finally, time to assemble raised panel Use the glue on both sides of rails, stiles, and panels to make sure there is no shortage of glue. Make sure you put the glue on every joint and dry them for over night at least.
- After joining all the parts, you can use the sander with 320 grame paper for the last time to guarantee perfect sanding. That’s it. Your door has been made.
I hope you got your answer of “how to make cabinet door” after reading this step by step guide. In this way you can also make Kitchen cabinet doors. It is my pleasure to be a helping hand for the people. Thank you.